Sunday, March 9, 2008

First post in a while...and it's a long one! Enjoy!

So, over the past couple of weeks, there have been lots of changes going on at work, school and in life! School has just been getting more hectic because we are coming to our quarter end!!! YEA! Work has been the same old, same old thing. However about 4 or 5 weeks ago I hired this sweet southern girl named Hayden from Tennessee to work for me. She has been great to be around because she reminds me of my friends back in Dallas, whom I miss soooo much! Hayden and her husband Yance joined Jeff and myself for dinner a couple weeks back and we had such a good time together! The boys were off to talking and Hayden and I were talking about this book that she recommend that I read. I picked it up earlier that day and she was just prepping me on a few chapters that I might have a hard time reading. She was right...my heart broke when i got to the chapter we were discussing! The book...when you look at the cover, you will probably get a different feeling about it vs. when you actually read it. It is called:
The book is not a self indulgent book (as it may appear). It does, however speak about the things that we put into our bodies that have made the US one of the nations leading obese countries. The book goes on to talk about the ways that our food becomes food and how the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) allow things such as ammonium perchlorate )the main explosive component in rocket fuel to be in our milk. The same milk that "does a body good" and we encourage our young kids to drink this. People wonder why our children are developing at such a young age these days and why there is so much disease in the world today rather than 15 to 20+ years ago. It has an entire chapter on how our meat, eggs and milk are grown and produced. The cruelty and torture that God's animals are put through is absurd.

This book has great insight on foods to eat for people who have diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc. and the food that they should stay away from. It guides you to a vegan diet. Most of you reading this are thinking I am crazy..."VEGAN?!?!" "What in the...?!?!" Yes...I know it has only been two weeks, but I am proud to be two weeks free of abused, tortured, steroid and pesticide infested, slaughtered animal products! No meat, no eggs, no fish, no cheese and no dairy! What do I eat? lots of things!!! I also purchased this book to help me out in the kitchen:
Skinny Bitch in the Kitch! It's the cookbook version of the original book! You can purchase the two books together on amazon.com! I have found some amazing foods to eat that are not just salads and veggies! However I do love my salads and I eat those a lot...I have made a Vegan Pizza (with vegan cheese. Pictured left), Vegan Macaroni and Cheese (with vegan cheese), Vegan Tacos (with vegan cheese and vegan meatless taco stuffers), Black Bean Burgers, and Brown Rice Pasta with Organic Pasta Sauce! Here are photo's of some of the ingredients I used to make these things:



Vegan Salad Dressings


Follow Your Heart Cheese Alternative


Yves Meatless "Meat"


Almond Milk (YUMMY in chocolate!)

Gardenburger (Black Bean)


And for my two favorite product/brands:


Stevia is derived from a plant that is found in Paraguay. It is a natural, herbal sweetener that contains ZERO calories and has NO glycemic index (which means that it will not alter blood sugar levels...which also means that it is safe for diabetics). Four packets of Stevia is equal to the amount of fiber in one bowl of cereal.
For reasons unknown the FDA will not approve Stevia for use in food products. However the FDA will approve sugar which is known to be addictive, contains simple carbs, weakens immune systems, causes cavities in your teeth, and is linked to Attention Deficit Disorder & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

" Used worldwide as an no-calorie herbal sweetener, Stevia is a South American herb that is 30 times sweeter than sugar. With hundreds of studies showing Stevia is a safe alternative, it’s the next big thing. No wonder. It's all-natural, contains zero calories, and has a zero glycemic index. Finally, you can supplement your food and drinks without the chemicals of artificial sweeteners and calories of sugar! And it is safe for diabetics and hypoglycemics."



A brand from Food for Life: Ezekiel 4:9
These products are amazing! I love their cereal, bread, pasta and tortillas!

When these six grains and legumes (wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and spelt) are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature. And who said Vegetarian's and Vegan's get No Protein?????

Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9.,

"Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

5 comments:

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

Very interesting HDP! I really enjoyed reading this and learned a lot from it. I will admit, at first I was like, Vegan, what is she thinking?! But this makes sense. I'm so glad it's working so well for you. I am definitely going to look into some of those products. Ricardo and I have started buying Kosher products because of the different treatment and additives that the regular meat products have now and espeically now that they are starting to clone meats.
Thanks for sharing!:-)

The Pettijohn's said...

Heather, Hi! Found your blog via Lauren and I'm fascinated by this post!!

I think I'm going to buy the book...thanks for the useful info!!!

Now I feel like I need to go empty our fridge, ha :)

The Mitchells said...

I have so many girlfriends who have switched over after reading this book (one of my friends has been vegan for 3 years now and wanted to open a restaurant in Dallas). My biggest issue is how to cook for our whole family and not freak out my husband...so, how does Jeff feel about going vegan??

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

PS- I have referred your blog to my blog readers:-) I read a preview of the book today and am now going to go buy it! I know forsure we will try out several of the products you recommend!

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

That would be great if you would post the mac and cheese recipe! I would love to try it:-) Ill make it before I tell ricardo what it is HA! Oh Randy, doesn't suprise me! Tell your fam and jeff hello! Wish we could have seen you guys when you were in town!