Friday, June 12, 2009

Preface to adding wedding photos!

Before I go off on my soap box I want you all to know that Jeff and I had the MOST amazing wedding EVER!!! The service was so beautiful and our minister (my youth minister/2nd father) performed the most personal and special ceremony ever ! My parents threw a heck of a reception! The food was amazing...yes, Jeff and I got to eat our entire meal...and cake!! I don't think one person sat down after the dancing started!! It was amazing!

I was however quite concerned with our photographer. I won't explain it all here, but I am going to attach the email I sent to photography company, so you can get a glimpse of what it was like to deal with this woman during the wedding. And let me add that for months we were planning on a photographer named Juan Turcios, and two weeks before my wedding, the company we were using to coordinate this e-mailed me to tell me that he was no longer free for our wedding and that we would get this new lady...Jihan.


Hi,


I just wanted to express my disappointment in our photographer. I'll just get right to the point. She arrived 15 minutes late to me, after she left me to go to the guys I stayed at the hotel to get out of my gown, packed up and go to the wedding site(a good 20 minutes)...she arrived at the wedding site 15 minutes after me. She gave NO direction to anybody. Myself and my bridesmaids were telling her what kind of photos to take, where to take them, etc. I chased her around for a large portion of the evening to get her to photograph Jeff and I chatting with guests, toasting, cutting the cake, garter/bouquet toss, 1st dance, father/daughter dance, mother/son dance, etc. Had I not found her and chased her around...we would have zero photographs of those big events of the night. She didn't get a lot of my "must-have photos". Not to mention, she was nowhere to be found for close to 45 minutes and then later when we were looking for her to do the garter/bouquet toss I found her by the bar...text messaging. All of these things are unacceptable. I don't know how you all consider her to be "one of your best". The good photos that we did get out of the batch are because myself, my maid of honor and my mother worked our rear ends off to get thing looking nice.

If Jihan didn't know the area and that is why she was late, she should have done the drive prior to the day of our wedding. If she didn't know where to photograph at our locations, she should have scouted it out prior to the day of our wedding. If she didn't think that she could handle our wedding without an assistant because we didn't pay for one, she should have declined the wedding or brought one of her personal friends to help her out. Basically, I spent a large amount of time at our wedding looking for our photographer.


Disappointed,

Heather Gorton



Now we did get a few good photos, but I do have to give the credit to my mom and my bridesmaids for getting these photos. Seriously, I wish that this was an over-exaggeration...I really wish it was! However, it's the truth! Jeff was amazing about it though...he kept me calm so I didn't have a "bridezilla" moment, and he didn't let it ruin our wedding for us. I ended up dancing the night away and thought..."whatever, at least our friends and family are taking pictures too"!!! And we got some GREAT pictures from our friends and family!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Awww, Heather! I hate to hear this. Your new pic looks great though! You two are just too beautiful together!

I had some frustrations with our photographer so I can relate on some account. Being the pipsqueak that I am & the fact that she's many states away, I said nothing. BUT, I'm glad that you were able to express yourself. Hopefully, they will accomodate you in some way for having to deal with something that never should've taken place.

Rob and Amy said...

Heather,
I am in the same exact boat as you sweetheart. Our photographer let us down BIG TIME. Over promised and under delivered. I have tried to make him understand time and time again, that we cannot some simple "get the photos back" that he said he would take and did not. 8 months later after our wedding, I have STILL not made our wedding album because I am so disappointed in what he took. They tried to send me a preliminary cut of the album, and it had 2 pages of ENGAGEMENT pictures in it. WTH??? Wasn't this our WEDDING. So I rudely informed him that had he taken the pictures he said he would take, we would have not have to fill our wedding album with e-pics. Sweetheart, please know I understand and KNOW your pain. The day in itself was a blur to me, so I was counting on pictures. What's worse is that it was his husband AND wife and they still did not capture adequate shots. No shots of our rings w/bouquet. No artistic, photojournalistic shots. Rob had 6 groomsmen, and the only picture that the photog took was of Rob and his Best Man. That's IT. There is ONE picture of me getting ready and ONE picture of Rob getting ready.

I could go on and on and on. What I guess I have learned 8 months down the road, is that I am going to just have to make the best with what we have, b/c there is no way of getting more. I am going to make the album, and in the grand scheme of things in life, this album isn't HUGE compared to other things we have going on. Granted it is easier said than done, I KNOW this as I am in the position you are.

We will be doing a trash the dress (aka- rock the dress) shoot in order to capture some awesome pictures that we didn't get...and I will not be using my original photographer!

If you ever need to vent, you know where to find me!

Unknown said...

That sucks! At least you have the memories!